Round Peg In a Square Hole-crafts

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Curly Scarf Patterns

Not being very good at crochet (I always say I need a weapon in each hand), I've been meaning to work out a knitted pattern for those lovely curly scarves that are so easy to make in crochet. I actually found a free pattern on Ravelry (where else?), but didn't like how it was working up, so I went ahead and made up a pattern on my own. Then I made up a different one. (That's just how I roll, I guess.) So, I thought I would make them available to others; no need for others to re-invent the wheel. They knit up pretty quickly; about 3 hours, I'd say.

Curly Scarf
Curly scarf

Materials:
Lion Homespun (less than one skein; I haven't tested this, but you can probably make two scarves out of one skein)
size 11 36" circular needle
size 17 needle for bind off
yarn needle for threading in ends

Terminology:
kf&b: knit front and back

Finished measurements:
about 60" long and 4" wide

Note: this is NOT how I made the scarf in the picture; this is how I would make it, were I to make it again.

With size 11 needle, cast on 110 sts, placing stitch markers every 10 sts.
Row 1, 3,5,7: k
Row 2: *kf&b, k4; repeat from * across (132 sts)
Row 4: *kf&b, k2; repeat from * across (176 sts)
Row 6: *kf&b, k; repeat from * across (264 sts)
Row 8: kf&b across (528 sts)
Row 9: bind off, using size 17 needle

Curly Lacey Scarf
Curly lacey scarf

Materials:
Lion Homespun (less than one skein; I haven't tested this, but you can probably make two scarves out of one skein)
size 11 36" circular needle
size 17 needle for bind off
yarn needle for threading in ends

Terminology:
yo: yarn over

Finished measurements:
about 60" long and 4" wide

With size 11 needle, cast on 110 sts, placing stitch markers every 10 sts.
Row 1: k
Row 2: k1, yo, *k5, yo; repeat from * to last 4 st; k4 (132 sts)
Row 3: k
Row 4: k1, yo, *k3, yo; repeat from * across to last 2 st; k2 (176 sts)
Row 5: *k3, yo, k1, yo; repeat from * across to last 3 st; k3 (264 sts)
Row 6: k
Row 7: k1, *yo, k2; repeat from * across to last (396 sts)
Row 8: *k1, yo; repeat from * across to last st, k1 (791 sts)
Row 9: bind off with size 17 needle

Other variations I haven't had the time to try, yet:
  1. fun fur held double with the base yarn on the last row
  2. increasing the size of the needle every row or every other row
  3. another novelty yarn, such as a metallic, on the last row, in place of the base yarn
Other suggestions?

(BTW, for those of you who are nerds like me, the whole point of the stitch markers is error detection: after finishing a row, there should be the same number of stitches in each segment marked off by the markers. Also, it helps in error prevention, since you will be doing your increases in the same spot in each segment, thus allowing you to catch errors as you make them. It also helps speed things up, if you don't have to count from one every time, when casting on a bazillion stitches.)

Labels: , ,