Round Peg In a Square Hole-crafts

Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Night of Dancing

This was my gown at the Jane Austen Ball in Pasadena, Ca last night. The inspiration for it came from all those paintings of the period with filmy gowns with nearly no sleeves and minscule bodices. It's a polyester silky, and the overskirt is made from a spangled and beaded bellydance scarf, with a hole cut in the middle and hung at the bottom of the bodice. I made this ages ago, so there are several non-period aspects: the bodice slants down to the back, instead of up, I used eyelets to lace it up the back, instead of buttonholes, or having it button, the beads on the bodice swing free instead of being stitched down. But it has worn well, and has a certain something, and apeal that garners a lot of attention. I have to admit, it's one of my favorites.

There were a LOT of very flashy gentlemen there, and my husband took a shot of three standing together: